I retuned home this evening to find two phone books on my porch. Have you heard of the interwebs? I have tubes… I haven’t used a phone book in years. I don’t even have a home phone. I don’t know what bothers me more; the fact the phone company keeps printing these things to justify their reach to advertisers or the fact that they are killing so many trees unnecessarily.
Is there a way to have the phone company stop?
UPDATED : How to stop getting phone books!
Thanks for the link Alli!
You can get the phone company to stop sending you phone books by clicking here. I did it.
Here are some crazy facts about phone books:
- How many directories are printed annually in the United States? 540 Million
- What is the average weight of the directories? 3.62 pounds
- How much is the directory industry worth to the telephone companies in the United States? $13.58B
- How much is the directory industry worth worldwide? $26B
- How many fully developed trees are needed to make a ton of paper? 24 trees
- How many gallons of oil are needed to produce a ton of paper? 380 gallons
- How many cubic yards of waste is taken up by a ton of paper? 3 cubic yards
- How many gallons of water are needed to produce a ton of paper? 7,000 gallons
- How many kilowatts of energy are needed to produce a ton of paper? 4,000
- How many directories are printed for EVERY man, woman, and child in the United States? 1.79 books per person